This diet was first introduced to the world by Loren Cordain, Ph.D., Who was a researcher from the Colorado State University that carried out his studies in the 1970s. According to him, the paleo diet is the way humans are meant to eat. However modern scientific research suggests otherwise.
Now let’s dig into the types of foods that you are allowed to eat while following a Paleo diet.
Foods you can eat
2. Vegetables like asparagus, green beans, broccoli, and Brussel sprouts, spinach
4. Fruits that are fresh
5. Nuts and seeds
6. Nonsaturated fats(i.e. oils) like Avocado oil, Coconut oil, Olive oil
7. Chicken, turkey, bison meat, lean beef
Foods you cannot eat
1. Dairy products like milk, yogurt, ice cream
2. Refined sugar-containing foods
3. Salami, bolognas, pepperoni, hot dogs
4. Salt containing foods like chips, pretzels, soy sauce, sport drinks
5. Processed foods like doughnuts, macaroni, cheese, and fruit snacks.
6. Potatoes, corn and corn chips and popcorn.
7. Cereal grains. Which means rice, bread or pasta
8. Legumes like peanuts. No peanut butter and soy foods, no hummus or beans of any kind
Tips to keep in mind
• The diet contains a lot of proteins. More proteins will boost your bodies growth and repairing abilities. But lack of carbohydrates will reduce your energy level as carbohydrates are the major energy substrates in your body.
• The amount of carbohydrate permitted in the Paleolithic diet may be inadequate if you are an athlete, so prepare to face some energy loss during the diet plan.
• The Paleo diet doesn’t specify the actual proportions of permitted foods. As a result, you may overeat certain types. For example, it wouldn’t be a problem if you eat a lot of vegetables, but if you eat a lot of nuts you might get some health problems.
Advantages of following a Paleo diet
1. Ability to lose weight due to the limited food choices
2. Improvement of satiety. Satiety means the fullness after a meal until you eat again. Normally fats take a long time to digest within your stomach, so you will not feel hungry all the time
3. Ability to intake a clean diet free from additives, chemicals, and other preservatives.
4. A higher level of iron intake due to the consumption of red meat. This is good for your hemoglobin production.
Disadvantages of the Paleo diet
1. Even if paleo diet improves satiety after meals, it may exacerbate gastritis and reflux like diseases, due to higher intake of fats.
2. Paleo diet can cost you a lot.
3. Beans are excluded from the diet, as a result, it will be difficult for vegetarians to follow it.
4. The carbohydrate intake from fruits and vegetables will be inadequate if you are involved in strenuous sports or exercises.
Few extra tips to stay safe
• Always get the help of a professional medical practitioner before you switch to a different diet plan.
• Discontinue any diet plan if you start to feel a higher level of fatigue or energy loss.
• I recommend you to eat at least 3 proper meals a day which includes proteins and foods with color.
• Also don’t forget to include grains to your snacks, such as green grams, rice, pasta etc.
• Stay away from unhealthy junk foods as much as possible.
• Always remember to find suitable replacements for the foods you are omitting in your diet plan. Or else you may get a nutrient deficiency in the long run.
So that’s that about the Paleo diet. Tell me all about your thoughts in the comments below.